The Garie Vanguard is an exciting volunteer-led, grassroots initiative providing the communities of Western Sydney with the opportunity to become a surf lifesaver. Participants complete a pool-supported Surf Rescue Certificate/Surf Bronze Medallion or an Award in Radio Operations or First Aid at Auburn Ruth Everuss Aquatic Centre and Garie Surf Life Saving Club.
The Garie Vanguard Partnership
The Garie Vanguard is delivered by Garie Surf Life Saving Club with assistance from the following organisations.
- Auburn Ruth Everuss Aquatic Centre – Belgravia Leisure
- Different Strokes Swimming
- Sydney Swimmers
- Royal Life Saving Society NSW
- Surf Life Saving NSW
- Surf Life Saving Sydney Branch
- Swim Sisters
- Completion of an eight-week training course covering team building, communication, first aid, surf, swimming, and work, health and safety skills
- Participation in surf lifesaving activities with Garie Surf Life Saving Club
- To take part you need to be able to swim either 200m in under five minutes or 400m in under nine minutes
- Not sure if you can swim that far? Get in touch – we can help!
- Want to be involved but don’t want to swim? Become an Award member in radio operations and first aid, or
What you get in return
- A Surf Rescue Certificate/Surf Bronze Medallion qualification
- Membership with Garie Surf Life Saving Club
- Make new friends while building your fitness
- Become an ambassador for health, fitness and surf safety in your community
- Nationally recognised qualification in Public Aquatic Safety